Media School faculty, students to present at SCMS conference
Sixteen faculty members and students will virtually attend and present at the Society for Cinema and Media Studies annual conference this week.
The conference allows scholars to share research, network and learn from their peers. It will include panels, workshops, roundtables, seminars and special events.
- “On the Politics, Poetics, and Performance of Scale in Hong Kong’s Architecturally Screened City” in the session “Legibility, Intelligibility, and Perception in Smart City Paradigms.”
- “Josephine Baker’s Sparkling New Media Remediations: Videographic Criticism on Zouzou” in the session “Rebooting Digital Diaspora: New Digitalities and Modalities of Blackness at Play.”
- “As you get excited you start to hug the game’: Industrial Design & the Shaping of Atari’s Coin-op Game Play Experience” in the session “Cultural Ergonomics Beyond the Workplace: Mediated Experience, Interaction and Design” (chair).
- “Sleeves and Sprays: On Cleanliness, Care, and Handling Music” in the session “Clean Up This Mess: Thinking Through Media, Materials and Cleanliness” (chair).
- “Rediscovered, Restored, and Released: Milestone Film & Video’s Restorative Politics” in the session “Niches and Cycles: Media Industries Perspective on Film History.”
- “Building Player Memory: Mediating Subjectivity through Product Design in Modern Retro Game Consoles” in the session “Memorial and Therapeutic Strategies in Video Games.”
- “‘Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman’: Fashioning Celebrity Girlhoods in Girls’ Magazines” in the session “Fashioning Celebrity: Star Texts, Fashion, and Beauty as Industry and Identity” (co-chair).
- “Animated Fantasy and Illicit Desire under India’s New Censorship” in the session “National Identity and Subversive Pathways.”
- “Street Cinema: Film Exhibition in Public Spaces in Hong Kong since the Umbrella Movement” in the session “Nation and Resistance.”
- “USIA, Youth Problem, and Cold War National Cinema” in the session “Industry, Information, Education.”
- “Dissecting Empire: A Materialist History of the Jigsaw Puzzle” in the session “Clean Up This Mess: Thinking Through Media, Materials and Cleanliness.”
- “The Changing Face of the Republic: French Cyberpunk Films and Ethnic Erasure” in the session “De/Re-constructing Race & Ethnicity.”
- “Home Is Where You Hang Your Lily White Heart: The Production of Whiteness on Pinterest” in the session “Appropriation, Destruction, and Social Media Strategies of Self.”
- “Boxing Up Anger: The Museum of Death & The Kinsey” in the roundtable “Preserving Experimental History: Avant-Garde Media, Institutional Politics and Archival Practice” (chair).
- “Industry Cycles and Genre-Mixing in Films with Black Lead Actors in the 1970s: A Digital Humanities Approach” in the session “Niches and Cycles: Media Industries Perspective on Film History.”
- “Consumption by Design: The Cultural Ergonomics of iBeacon” in the session “Cultural Ergonomics Beyond the Workplace: Mediated Experience, Interaction and Design” (co-chair).