Our History


1911: IU establishes the Department of Journalism with Joseph Piercy as chair.

1915: The journalism department takes ownership of the Daily Student, which was founded in 1867 by students.

1916: The journalism department begins offering a master’s degree in journalism.

1921: Professor Rolla Ramsey tests an early form of wireless service for campus newspapers in the Midwest.

1932: The journalism department begins offering a bachelor’s degree in journalism.

1938: John E. Stempel, BA’23, begins his 30-year tenure as the second leader of the Department of Journalism.

Journalism chair John E. Stempel and faculty.

Ernie Pyle: An American hero

A portrait of Ernie Pyle 10 days before he left for Okinawa.

Ernie Pyle, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist best known for his work as a war correspondent during World War II, got his start at IU. Although he left school before he graduated, he was actively involved in the journalism department during his time at the university and served as the editor of the Daily Student in 1922. He received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from Herman B Wells in 1944. IU established a scholarship program for World War II veterans in his name after his death and later named a new building after the venerable alumnus.


The Radio-TV Building in 1963.

1961: Harry Geduld joins the faculty and promotes film as an area of study.

1963: IU begins offering a doctorate in mass communications, and Radio-TV moves to its new building.

1965: Comparative literature offers IU's first film studies class, C390: The Film, the Arts and Society, taught by Harry Geduld.

1967: The Indiana Daily Student celebrates its centennial.

1973: IU establishes its film studies program.

1974: The Department of Journalism becomes the School of Journalism in the College of Arts and Sciences, and Radio-Television becomes the Department of Telecommunications.

1975: Charles Sherman is named the first telecommunications chair.

1976: A certificate in film studies is approved.

IU establishes the Black Film Center/Archive in 1981.