Research and Creative Interests
- Exploring the blended space of traditional journalism and digital communications
Neal G. Moore
Master of Science, Media Arts & Science Indiana University, School of Informatics, Indianapolis, Ind.
Bachelor of Arts, Business Administration Anderson University, Anderson, Ind.
Student, Radio & Television Butler University, Indianapolis, Ind.
Journalism, writing, teaching, Web content development, video production, social media, traditional media, media content and analysis, public relations, media relations, media training
Adjunct Instructor, The Media School, Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind. (2013-present)
I teach courses in advanced television newscasts, television news package production and writing and reporting for beginning journalists.
Assignment Editor, WXIN-TV & WTTV, Indianapolis, Ind. (2014-present)
Responsible for all assignment desk operations and web content during weekday morning newscasts. I produce all digital content for Fox59.com and CBS4Indy.com during my assigned work shifts including writing breaking news, tracking and posting appropriate news stories and updates, working with reporters and photographers in the field who send in content for digital distribution, clipping and adding on-air reports to digital versions of said stories, sending push alerts for breaking news, monitoring multiple emergency and police agency scanners for breaking news, and managing distribution of shared content between WXIN and WTTV and CNN, CBS News, Fox News and affiliated stations. I also identify and post all content to our social media platforms. I identify local, regional and national news that is compelling and will drive Facebook and Twitter users to Fox59.com and CBS4Indy.com.
Owner, Moore Media Services, LLC Indianapolis, Ind. [2009 – present]
Writing and video production services. Production of significant amount of online content, particularly video.
Director of Community Relations, Indiana University School of Informatics, Indianapolis, Ind. [2005 – 2009] Hired to launch a Community Relations office for the purpose of extending the reach of and understanding about informatics. Responsible for all internal and external communication for IUPUI informatics, including establishing relationships with key community leaders. Maintain regular contact with the news media and internal IUB/IUPUI communications for story placements. Develop special programming to showcase various informatics and New Media programs. Responsible for all editorial content on IUPUI informatics Web site. Develop video, audio and Web marketing tools. Significant writing responsibilities including all Web reporting for School. Established a luncheon series for VIP tours and informal conversations about school.
TV Anchor & Executive Producer, Comcast Newsmakers [1997 – 2009] Co-founder and on-camera host of this public affairs program, interviewing Indiana policymakers, corporate leaders and executives of not-for-profit organizations. Interviews aired on CNN Headline News on Comcast’s statewide cable system. Shared responsibility for executive management of program including editorial content, guest bookings, art direction and five-person production staff – an enterprise valued at approximately $1.8 million annually. Also, responsible for creation and maintenance of Comcast Newsmakers Web site.
TV Anchor, IU Update [2005 – 2007] Host of magazine-style TV show airing at halftime of Indiana University basketball games. Delivery of on-camera and voice-over narration of stories featuring IU teaching, research and community service initiatives. IU Update was viewed throughout Indiana on the IU basketball television network.
Vice President, Sease, Gerig & Associates, Indianapolis, Ind. [1997 – 2005]
Identified and cultivated strategic alliances for clients (typically CEOs) and their audiences. Provided public relations counsel to corporate and not-for-profit clients including media relations training, management, and communications. Significant, daily interaction with influential business, political, media, and educational leaders. Served as Internet and New Media consultant.
Adjunct Instructor, Anderson University, Anderson, Ind. [1993 – 1999] Instructor, COMM 2520/Broadcast Journalism, a core curriculum class for mass communication majors.
TV News Anchor & Reporter WISH-TV (CBS), Indianapolis, Ind. [1985 – 1997]
Writing, producing and reporting television news stories, with an emphasis on business, political, education, investigative, and feature reporting. Weekend anchor, 6:00 & 11pm newscasts.
TV News Reporter, WOTV (NBC), Grand Rapids, Mich. [1983 – 1985]
Writing, producing and reporting television news stories, with an emphasis on business reporting.
TV News Reporter, WANE-TV (CBS), Ft. Wayne, Ind. [1982 – 1983]
Writing, producing and reporting television news stories, with an emphasis on business and political reporting.
Various radio station on-air positions [1972 – 1982]
Announcing, news, producing
Associated Press [AP] 1st Place Awards [Large Market Television]: Individual Reporting; Feature Reporting; Sports Feature Reporting; General Sports Reporting; General News Reporting
United Press International [UPI] 1st Place Awards [Large Market Television]: Individual Achievement in Reporting; Sports Reporting
- Producer of an informational video for Indiana State Museum to educate donors about paleolithic dig in Southern Indiana. Responsible for all writing, videography, editing, production concept. “Diggin’ Up Bones” available online at http://goo.gl/fwb2
- Producer of a documentary video about the academic partnership between IUPUI and Moi University in Eldoret, Kenya. In Kenya for 10 days October, 2007. Responsible for all writing, videography, editing, voice-over, production concept. “Moi & IUPUI Kueneza Ushirikiano” available online at http://goo.gl/fXus
- Producer of primary fundraising video for WFYI Television’s digital conversion. Responsible for writing, content capture, production concept. “The Power of Possibilities” available online at http://goo.gl/UvJ9
- Producer of a marketing video to promote the inaugural U.S. Grand Prix Formula 1 race for Indpls. Convention & Visitors Assoc. Responsible for writing, content capture, production concept. “Welcome to International Indianapolis” available online at http://goo.gl/LU4w
- Producer of seven educational videos for permanent installation in the Col. Eli Lilly Civil War Museum, Indianapolis, Ind. Currently showing in museum at Monument Circle
- Reporting from post-communist Russia TV news stories about an orphanage, a Moscow hospital and an Eli Lilly and Company diabetes initiative
- Primary public relations responsibilities for Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Ind., including groundbreaking event and writing of grand opening ceremony remarks for Bob Costas, NBC television
- Establishing informatics linkages with the NCAA for 3D stereoscopic displays of sporting events, and with Putting Communities First, a national consortium of public TV stations, for development of an online content sharing portal
- Planning of a spontaneous community memorial service during Habitat for Humanity’s 2001 international conference in Indianapolis two days following the Sept. 11 attacks
- Collegiate mission trips to Peru, South America, and Tanzania, Africa