Probation and dismissal policy for Media Scholars
Given the character and academic strength of students invited into the Media Scholars honors program, concerns about probation or dismissal are unlikely. Nevertheless, the policy outlined here makes certain that in the rare event of any issues arising with respect to personal integrity or academic performance, the fair treatment of a scholar will be ensured, and the reputation of the Media Scholars honors program will be upheld.
Scholars are placed on probation under one or more of these conditions:
- Their cumulative GPA falls below 3.2.
- They receive a C or lower in any Media School course.
Scholars are judged to be making insufficient progress toward fulfilling the requirements of the program and thus are subject to dismissal from the program under one or more of these conditions:
- They have a cumulative GPA below 3.2 for two or more semesters.
- They have received a C or lower in two or more Media School courses.
- They have a single-semester grade point average of 2.0 or below.
Scholars may also be placed on probation or dismissed from the program for failing to live up to other obligations, including:
- Participation in student or professional media each semester.
- Attending required lectures in The Media School’s Speaker Series.
- Attending required travel events.
Probation will be considered for any single violation of the above standards. Dismissal will be considered for multiple violations in a single semester or violations in more than one semester.
Scholars who engage in academic or personal misconduct are also subject to probation or dismissal. This includes any misconduct as defined by the IU Bloomington Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct.
Once on probation, scholars must comply with such restrictions as the director of the honors program deems necessary. Scholars will be notified of their status and associated restrictions in a formal letter from the director.
Once dismissed from the program, scholars will not be considered for readmission.