Call for papers
The Media School Graduate Association at Indiana University seeks submissions for the 2023 Common Ground Conference. Common Ground is an interdisciplinary conference broadly centered on media and communication studies. The conference welcomes submissions from a variety of theoretical and methodological perspectives.
The theme of this year’s conference is Fostering Community, Scholarship, and Creativity. We invite scholarly, professional, and creative submissions that consider media, that analyze its impact on the public sphere, democratization, or individual communities, that tells a story about oneself or one’s community. Broader interpretations of the theme are welcome.
The conference will be held Saturday, April 1, in Bloomington, Indiana.
Conference participation is open to all graduate students regardless of institutional or departmental affiliation.
Topics may include but are not limited to:
- Social media and the public sphere
- Media and democratization
- Media effects and the community
- Online communities
- Political polarization in media
- New infrastructures
- Media regulation and public policy
- Media and race, gender, and sexuality
- Gaming as socialization
- Reception and perception
- New forms of representation
- Changing practices of media consumption
- Fandom, sports, celebrity, and community
- Transformations of self and society
- Media and Labor
Paper abstracts, workshop proposals, creative works, and other types of submissions are welcome.
The submission deadline for 2023 has passed.