Learn about film production in the Czech Republic and earn course credit toward your degree this summer. MSCH-X478: Short Film Production takes students to Prague for a four-week summer intensive course.
The program will cover screenwriting, directing, cinematography and editing. When the course ends, students will have completed a short film inspired by the history, people and places in Prague. Situated on a hilltop overlooking the winding Vltava River, Prague is an ideal location for students to produce their own short films.
Taught by lecturer Susan Kelly, the course is offered through the IU Office of Overseas Study in partnership with the Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague.
This is an advanced course. Applicants will be asked to submit their resume, select a preferred production role and describe their experience.
June 1-30, 2018
Enrollment in this course is by application. To apply, you must:
- be an undergraduate or graduate degree candidate at any IU campus and be making normal academic progress.
- be in at least your fourth full-time semester of college.
- have satisfied the following prerequisites with grades of C- or higher:
- MSCH-C 223 or TEL-T 206
- MSCH-C 228, MSCH-G 320 or TEL-T 283
- have approximately a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher.
Fees paid to IU:
- Indiana resident: $6,213
- Non-resident: $6,513
Media School students are guaranteed at least $500 in scholarship support.
Students are also responsible for the tuition cost of three summer credit hours. Your tuition rate varies based on your student status. Visit IU’s tuition estimator for more information.
The course fee covers lodging, all required activities and health insurance. Students are also responsible for their transportation to and from Prague (estimated cost: $1,300-$1,500), meals (estimated cost: $1,000-$2,000) and other personal expenses.
An initial pre-payment of $500 will be due March 9.
How to Apply
Apply here. The deadline is Feb. 12
- Contact Katie Beck, associate director of student services, experiential education, by email or by phone at 812-856-3535.
- Read blog posts from students in last year’s program.
- Learn more and apply.