A minimum 30 credit hours including:
- MSCH-M503 Media Theories and MSCH-M502 Media Research, with a grade of B (3.0) or above;
- Program of Study listing all courses toward the degree approved by the student’s advisory committee;
- No more than 6 credits of independent study;
- At least 21 credit hours must be taken within The Media School;
- Thesis (up to 6 credits of MSCH-T800 taken after an approved thesis proposal; oral defense of written work administered by student’s advisory committee) or comprehensive examination (written and oral, administered by the student’s advisory committee).
Each student will receive initial guidance from a faculty member assigned by the director of graduate studies. By April 15 of her or his first year, each student will select an adviser and nominate a three-member advisory committee. At least two members of the advisory committee must be from The Media School. Students who fail to file an approved Program of Study before the start of fall semester in the second year of their studies will be considered out of good academic standing.
B (3.0) average or above. Any semester’s work averaging less than B will result in the student’s being placed on academic probation. Accumulation of two individual course grades of C (2.0) or lower for graduate credit will result in dismissal of the student from the program. The school evaluates each student’s progress toward the degree every year.