Research and Creative Interests
- Political Communication
- Media Effects and Political Behavior
- Mediation and reconciliation
Jimmy Ochieng is a PhD student in The Media School at Indiana University. His research has been published in Journalism & mass Communication Quarterly, The International Journal of Press/Politics and African Journalism Studies. His research areas include political communication, media effects and political behavior, and mediation and reconciliation.
- Ochieng, J. (2022). News sources and framing of responsibility on devolution in Kenya, 2013-2017. Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly.
- Ireri, K., & Ochieng, J. (2022). Kenya high-octane devolution politics: Examining predictors of governors and senators’ coverage in national press. Newspaper Research Journal, 43(4), 427-446.
- Ochieng, J. & Ireri, K. (2022). “The new sheriffs in town”! Newspapers visibility of Kenya’s first county governors. African Journalism Studies, 43(1), 34-52.
- Ochieng, J. (2021). Rift Valley: Encounters with devolution in a vast and diverse region. In. M. Nzau (Ed.), Taking stock of devolution in Kenya: From the 2010 Constitution, through two election cycles, to the BBI process. Nairobi: HORN Institute.
- Ireri, K., & Ochieng, J. (2020). Politicians in the news: Who attracts coverage in Kenyan politics? The International Journal of Press/Politics, 25(4): 657-691.
- Oyugi, W. O. & Ochieng, J. (2020). The politics of the provincial administration. In N. Cheeseman, K. Kanyinga & G. Lynch (Eds.) Oxford handbook of Kenyan politics. London: Oxford University Press.
- Oyugi, W. O. & Ochieng, J. (2020). East Africa: Regional politics and dynamics. In N. Cheeseman (Ed.) Oxford encyclopedia of African politics. London: Oxford University Press.
- Ireri, K., Ochieng, J., & Roberts, A. (2019). An exploratory study on knowledge gap in public affairs among Kenyans. African Journalism Studies, 39(4), 152-177.
- Jepson, G. J., Sanghrajka, N., & Ochieng, J. (2014). Back from the brink: The 2008 mediation process and reforms in Kenya. Addis Ababa: African Union Commission.
- Ireri, K. & Ochieng, J. Kenyan Politicians: Who attracts pictorial coverage in national press. Paper presented at the International Communication Association Conference in Gold Coast, Australia, May 24-28, 2020.
- Ochieng, J. & Ireri, K. Newspaper visibility in non-election period: Predictors of Kenyan women politicians in news. Paper presented at the International Communication Association Conference in Washington DC, United States of America, May 24-28, 2019.
- Ireri, K. & Ochieng, J. Politicians in newspaper news: Who attracts coverage in Kenyan politics. Paper presented at the International Communication Association Conference in Prague, Czech Republic, May 24-28, 2018.
- Ireri, K. & Ochieng, J. An exploratory study on knowledge gap among Kenyans in Nairobi. Paper presented at the International Communication Association-Africa Conference in Nairobi, Kenya, October 19-21, 2016.
Journal Article Reviewer
- New Media & Society.
- Newspaper Research Journal.
- SN Social Sciences.