Faculty, alumni to participate in National High School Journalism convention
Several Media School alumni and faculty will participate in the High School Journalism Convention Nov. 10-13 in Indianapolis.
The conference will include panels and keynote speeches throughout the weekend. About 4,000 people, including high school students and advisors, will attend. The conference is a joint program of the Journalism Education Association and the National Scholastic Press Association.
Audrie Osterman, director of experiential learning, and Amy Cornell, director of student services, will manage the Hoosier Lounge, where high school teachers and students can speak with faculty, alumni and student ambassadors from The Media School. The lounge will include a special social media photo spot and virtual reality demonstrations with associate professor Galen Clavio on Friday.
Faculty of The Media School who will speak at the conference include:
- Associate professor in sports media Galen Clavio, BS’01, MS’05, PhD’08
- Professor of practice Kelley Benham French
- Professor of practice Tom French, BA’81
- Associate professor and director of undergraduate studies Jim Kelly, MA’88, PhD’90
- Assistant professor Gerry Lanosga, MA’99, PhD’10
- Assistant professor Lauren Reichart Smith
Additionally, alumni from Indiana University and The Media School will participate in sessions, including:
- Kathleen Schuckel Andrews, BA’85, MA’91
- Gena Asher, BA’79, MIS’03, MLS’03,
- Larry Buchanan, BAJ’11
- Claire Burke, BAJ’09
- Jon Glesing, BA’89 (History)
- Ryan Gunterman, BS’02 (Journalism Education)
- Diana Hadley, MA’80
- Lori Keekley, BAJ’95
- Janet Levin, BA’80
- Tracy Luke, BA’82, MS’86 (Secondary Education)
- Adam Maksl, BS’05 (Journalism Education)
- Janet McKinney, BS’69, MS’74 (Journalism Education, Secondary Education)
- Kathleen Mills, BA’88, MS’00 (Language Education)
- April Moss, BS’92 (Social Studies Education), MS’97 (Secondary Education)
- Sarah Nichols, BAJ’99
- Larra Overton, BAJ’05, MS’06 (Kinesiology)
- John Schwarb, BAJ’96
- Amy Wimmer Schwarb, BAJ’98
- Valerie Tanke, BA’78, MS’84 (Secondary Education)
- Alden Woods, BAJ’16
Media School senior and IDS managing editor Anna Boone will also present a session at the conference.
Alumna Lori Keeley, BAJ’95, has also been selected as the Dow Jones Journalism Teacher of the Year and will be honored at a luncheon during the convention.