X498: Research in Media
To enroll in X498, propose an independent research project that yields insight into any aspect of media practice or theory. Your proposal must be developed under the guidance of a sponsoring full-time faculty member.
Media School majors may enroll in one to three credit hours of X498 in any semester and may earn no more than four X498 credit hours in total.
The number of credit hours you can earn for your project depends on the average amount of weekly work it will entail over the course of the full semester.
Projects undertaken during summer sessions require:
- Twice as many weekly hours if over an eight-week session
- Three times as many if over a six-week session
- Four times as many if over a four-week session
In all cases, regular faculty supervision and guidance must be incorporated into the project plan.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Guidelines and requirements
- Be a Media School major (normally limited to students with senior standing).*
- Be in good academic standing.
- Show evidence of satisfactory completion of relevant coursework.
- Have no outstanding incompletes for prior X498s or other independent study projects.
- Complete all X498 coursework during the semester for which it is approved.
- Complete the X498 application.
*Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.