Graduate Independent Study Courses

Register for a graduate-level independent study course

Graduate independent study courses should be used in rare cases when students are conducting coursework or projects outside the realm of classes currently offered. Independent study courses generally should be taken only during the summer terms when regular courses are not offered.

The independent study courses available to Media School graduate students are:

  • MSCH-J804 for all reading and research independent study. Doctoral students are limited to six J804 credits. M.A. students are limited to three J804 credits.
  • MSCH-T577 for creative design, production and journalism projects.

To enroll in an independent study course, you must submit a proposal approved by your faculty advisor, the instructor of record for the independent study and the director of graduate studies.

Download the proposal form below. Submit the completed form to the graduate studies administrative associate.

Download the proposal form


Contact Stephanie DeBoer, director of graduate studies.