Student eligibility requirements
To qualify for X474 enrollment, you must be pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism from The Media School.
Your internship must also be related to the field of journalism. For credit for a nonjournalism internship, apply for X472.
General internship requirements
In order for your internship to be eligible for credit, the experience must reflect the broad goals of your major or area of concentration.
It must also:
- enhance your career development or offer the opportunity to apply knowledge you’ve gained in the classroom to real-world scenarios. It should not exist to simply advance the operations of the employer or replace the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
- help you earn skills and knowledge that are transferable to other employment settings.
- occur during the same semester in which you are seeking credit. We can’t approve hours retroactively, so no work hours will be counted until your internship is approved.
Internship structure requirements
In general, your internship must have a defined beginning and end.
You also need a written job description that outlines your projects, duties and/or responsibilities. Please ensure that your employer pays close attention to this requirement so that you can get credit.
Your internship must also:
- have clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to your academic coursework or professional goals.
- include supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- provide routine feedback from an experienced supervisor.
- support your learning objectives/goals with resources, equipment and facilities provided by your host employer.