Student eligibility requirements
To qualify for X472 enrollment, you must be majoring in a program that will lead to an undergraduate degree from The Media School.
If you are pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, you should enroll in X472 ONLY if you want credit for a nonjournalism internship. If you want credit for a journalism internship, you should apply for X474.
You must also have earned at least 12 credits from The Media School prior to the start of the course.
If you're interning with the Michael I. Arnolt Center for Investigative Journalism, you do not need to complete a separate application for X472. You only need to complete the Arnolt Center application.
General internship requirements
In order for your internship to be eligible for credit, the experience must reflect the broad goals of your major or area of concentration.
It must also:
- enhance your career development or offer the opportunity to apply knowledge you’ve gained in the classroom to real-world scenarios. It should not exist to simply advance the operations of the employer or replace the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
- help you earn skills and knowledge that are transferable to other employment settings.
- occur during the same semester in which you are seeking credit. We can’t approve hours retroactively, so no work hours will be counted until your internship is approved.
If your proposed internship is with an organization where you have previously worked for internship credit, you must have a different supervisor, a different job title, a different job description and duties, and a new set of learning objectives. You may not repeat the same internship with the same organization.
Internship structure requirements
In general, your internship must have a defined beginning and end.
You also need a written job description that outlines your projects, duties and/or responsibilities. Please ensure that your employer pays close attention to this requirement so that you can get credit.
Your internship must also:
- have clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to your academic coursework or professional goals.
- include supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- provide routine feedback from an experienced supervisor.
- support your learning objectives/goals with resources, equipment and facilities provided by your host employer.