Ph.D. Student and Associate Instructor
Research and Creative Interests
- media effects
- Political Communication
- Health Communication
Kevin Mudavadi is a Ph.D. Student at The Media School, Indiana University-Bloomington, IN, USA. He is pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy in Media Studies. He received his MA in Communication Studies from United States International University-Africa (USIU-Africa) and BA in Communication Studies from St. Paul’s University Kenya in 2019 and 2016, respectively.
His research interests revolve around mass media effects, political and health communication, with a keen interest in how the media shapes political and health issues. Specifically, he is interested in why individuals consume certain media and their content(s), and how this content affects them. Additionally, Kevin is interested in the role of dis/misinformation content on digital media in individual health decisions.
His research is founded on such theories as framing, agenda-setting, priming, the spiral of silence, cultivation, knowledge gap, and hierarchy of influences. In research methods, he specializes in surveys, content analysis, focus group discussions, and in-depth interviews.
Kevin has presented his research works in many conferences – including; Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC), Biennial African Studies Association of Africa (ASAA), and International Symposia on Social Media, among others. He has a book chapter published by the African Feminism and Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung Foundation.
- Mudavadi K. C. (2020). Patriarchy and Print Media Coverage in Kenya: An Analysis of Newspaper Framing of Women Politicians in Pre-And-Post 2017 General Election. In Challenging patriarchy: The role of patriarchy in the roll-back of democracy. eds. C. Kioko, R. Kagumire, & M. Matandela, 101-115. Heinrich Böll Stiftung. https://bit.ly/2TO0Xhz
Selected Learned Conferences & Symposia
- Melissa, T., Mudavadi, K. C., & Lomoywara, D. B. (2020, August). Health Misinformation in Kenya (blind-reviewed extended abstract). 103rd Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Virtual Conference – AEJMC (University of California-San Diego, California, USA).
- Mudavadi, K. C. (2019, October). Patriarchy and Print Media Coverage in Kenya: An Analysis of Newspapers Framing of Women Politicians in pre-and-post 2017 General Election. 3rd Biennial African Studies Association of Africa Conference (United States International University – Africa, Nairobi, Kenya).
- Mudavadi, K. C. (2019, October). A Spiral of Silence for Political Discourse: Examining A Comparison Analysis of The Digital Political Empowerment of The United States and Kenya During the Immediate Previous General Elections. 3rd Biennial Association of Africa Conference (United States International University – Africa, Nairobi, Kenya).
- Mudavadi, K. C. (2019, September). A Uses and Gratifications Approach to Usage of Facebook among Kenya College Students. International Symposium on Social Media (United States International University – Africa, Nairobi, Kenya).
- October 2020: Effective Strategies to counter the spread of health misinformation around Covid-19 in Kenya and Senegal – $10,000.