Prepare to be challenged and inspired.
The IU Media School Speaker Series gives students and area residents the opportunity to meet with some of the top media professionals in the country. In the past, the series brought speakers such as authors Dave Eggers and Gay Talese, The New York Times’ David Brooks and Fox Sports’ Joe Buck to campus.
All lectures are free and open to the public.
“Lee Hamilton Wouldn’t Recognize the Place:
What Has Become of Politics in Washington?”
5:30 p.m. March 28, Presidents Hall, Franklin Hall
E.J. Dionne is an author and syndicated columnist for The Washington Post whose work is grounded in years of reporting on government and politics on local, national and international levels.
“Learning to Speak Lingerie:
Chinese Entrepreneurs in Egypt and the Chinese Worldview”
6 p.m. April 12, Global and International Studies Building Auditorium
Peter Hessler is a staff writer at The New Yorker and contributor to National Geographic who has drawn on his international experiences for several books, including a trilogy exploring his decade in China.
“From a Presidential Election to Podcasts: The Future of News”
2 p.m. April 21, Presidents Hall, Franklin Hall
Reporter Asma Khalid has covered issues ranging from politics and demographics to the Boston Marathon bombings to the trial of James “Whitey” Bulger for NPR and for WBUR in Boston.
Many of our guests also have been interviewed on Profiles, the radio interview show on WFIU the Bloomington-area NPR affiliate.
- Chicago Tribune editor Gerry Kern (2016)
- PBS’ Fred de Sam Lazaro (2016)
- PBS’ Paula Kerger (2016)
- NPR’s Eric Deggans (2016)
- Author Sonia Nazario (2014)
- Photojournalist Robert Nickelsberg (2014)
- David Ignatius of The Washington Post (2014)
- David Sanger of The New York Times (2013)
- Maria Hinojosa, executive producer of America by the Numbers with Maria Hinojosa (2013)
- CBS and 60 Minutes broadcaster Byron Pitts (2013)
- Rajiv Chandrasekaran, author and former bureau chief in Baghdad (2013)
- Andrew Ferguson, senior editor at The Weekly Standard (2013)
- Journalist and author Andrew Lam (2012)
- Author David Margolick (2012)
- CBS correspondent Lara Logan (2011)
- Chicago Tribune editor Gerry Kern (2011)
- Journalist and author Sheryl WuDunn (2010)
- Writer and critic Ken Auletta (2010)
- Journalist and author Gay Talese (2010)
- 60 Minutes correspondent Steve Kroft (2009)
- Economist and Beautiful Mind author Sylvia Nasar (2009)
- NPR president and CEO Vivian Schiller (2009)
- NPR’s All Things Considered co-host Michelle Norris (2007)
- CNN correspondent Andrea Koppel (2008)
- The Will Counts Memorial Lecture on Photojournalism featured alumni Michel du Cille, BA’85; Melissa Farlow, BA’84; and Bill Foley, ’77, BA’07.
- The Roy W. Howard Lecture on Media Leadership featured alumni Gerry Kern, BA’71; Paul Tash, BA’76; and moderator Carrie Ritchie, BAJ’08.
- A Conversation with Magazine Editors featured Christie Griffin, BAJ’04; Colin Kearns, BAJ’04; Chad Millman, BA’93; and Chandra Czape Turner, BAJ’96.
- Contact Director of Communications and Media Relations Anne Kibbler.