Indiana University student media won top honors at the 59th annual Indiana Collegiate Press Association’s convention April 8 in Indianapolis.
The Indiana Daily Student, IU’s student-run newspaper, was named Division I Newspaper of the Year and Advertising Publication of the Year, and the IDS website was named Online Publication of the Year.
Arbutus yearbook was named Division I Yearbook of the Year. Inside Magazine received second place for Magazine of the Year.
IU student media won four of the six overall awards entered, and students brought home a total of 120 individual awards for their work published in 2016.
Here are some of the individual honors:
- Hannah Alani, best feature story, “The Little Sister.”
- Taylor Telford, best in-depth story, “A Question of Consent.”
- Sarah Gardner, best entertainment story, “Master and apprentice: without piano tuners, students’ music starts to fade.”
- Alexa Chryssovergis, Noble Guyon, Anne Halliwell, best news feature reporting online, “Unrest In the Forest.”
- Lionel Lim, Kiel Perez, best video, “Behind Indiana’s Golden Glove’s Champion.”
- Jordan Guskey, best sports news reporting, “Handling of Nick Carovillano’s injury at the basis of Kevin Wilson’s resignation.”
- Nyssa Kruse, best news or feature series, “In the dark: three-part series on IU’s safety lights.”