Interested in exploring the world of sportscasting? Our mini-workshop offers on-camera experience, including anchoring and on-camera panel discussions, as well as skills such as broadcast writing, sports reporting and editing, and podcasting.
You’ll have the chance to interview Indiana University athletics staff and athletes, then use your footage to create a story. You’ll also try out the anchor desk in The Media School’s new Beckley Studio.
You’ll learn how to engage with cameras and transition through segments, and you’ll receive feedback from faculty and students at The Media School’s sports media program.
You may take this three-day session as a standalone, or you may combine it with the Reporting and Writing’s sports workshop, offered July 10-14, or the Converged Newsroom: Sports Media workshop July 16-20.
- The 2017 sportscasting mini-workshop is July 14-16.
- Maximum enrollment is 16. Registration begins in late January,
- Cost is $285 for the mini-workshop, which includes a shared room, a $50 meal card, instruction and supervision.
Here’s a tentative schedule:
Friday, July 14
- Noon Check in at Spruce Hall
- 1:30 p.m. Orientation meeting, Franklin Hall
- 2-3 p.m. Teleprompter exercises
- 3-3:15 p.m. Script writing mini-lecture
- 3:15-3:30 p.m. Research script info
- 3:30-5 p.m. On-camera interviewing practice
- 5:30 p.m. Dinner
Saturday, July 15
- 9-10:45 a.m. Prompter practice
- 11 a.m. to noon Camera training
- Noon Lunch
- 1:30-3:30 p.m. Interview coaches/players at Mark Cuban Center
- 4-5:30 p.m. Editing instruction
Sunday, July 16
- 9-11 a.m. Final session: Radio exercise
- Noon Check out with floor counselor
- See more student workshops.
- Check out awards.
- Read about housing, fees and meals.
- Learn about available scholarships.
- Contact HSJI Administrative Services Coordinator Linda J. Johnson at 812-855-0895 or e-mail her.