Public Relations Team
The HSJI Public Relations Team will operate and staff our public relations “office” during the Institute. Veteran HSJI instructor Mike Frazier will coach team members as they publish multimedia stories, send out press releases and manage social media accounts during institute.
Candidates for the PR Team should be reliable, enterprising and well-rounded journalists who are self-starters and motivated to produce content. Ideally, members of the PR Team will have attended HSJI previously. However, we will also open enrollment to students with at least one year of student media experience. Each team member will be assigned a beat to cover. Team members will also spend one day shadowing a media relations professional.
Only students who have applied and been selected as PR Team members may register for this workshop. PR Team members are required to arrive on campus one day early for orientation.
- 2017 session dates for the Public Relations Team: July 9-14, July 15-20
- Use this online form to apply for the team. Deadline to apply is March 31, 2017.
- A small, portable notebook and pens/pencils.
- A 5-MegaPixel (minimum) digital camera or a cell phone with built-in camera. Please bring a charging cable and/or extra batteries, plus cables for downloading photos to computer or be able to retrieve photos via online storage space.
- External USB hard drive or flash drive at least 32gb in size for file storage.
- Devices that can record (and offload) audio
- SD card reader
- Laptop with familiar software
- Information about the responsibilities of your 2016-17 student media position, if applicable.
- Copies of your work published in your school’s student media, if applicable.
Former PR members offer advice:
- Have an open mind. Be ready to do things on the spot.
- Be ready to do things you didn’t do last year as a camper.
- Bring tennis shoes.
- Drink a lot of water — hydrate!!
- Don’t be afraid to step outside your comfort zone!
Typical daily schedule
While no two days are alike, they are designed to give you the best journalistic experience you can have while at IU.
- Day 1
- 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Check in at residence hall.
- 2 p.m.: Orientation.
- 3 p.m.: Team organization and planning session.
- Day 2
- Noon to 2:30 p.m.: Take photos, shoot video, interview students as they arrive on campus.
- 3-5 p.m.: Instructional sessions
- 5-7 p.m.: Tour of instructional areas, dinner with floormates and counselors
- 7-9:30 p.m.: Instructional sessions and residence hall orientation
- 11:30 p.m.: Lights out
- Days 3-5
- 8:30-11:30 a.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 1:30-4 p.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 4-5:30 p.m.: Recreational programs led by counselors
- 7-9 p.m.: Enrichment sessions, one-on-one meetings with instructors
- Day 6
- 8:30-10:30 a.m.: Publication Day
- 11 a.m. to noon: Awards ceremony (friends and family welcome)
- Noon: Check out and workshop departure
- See more student workshops.
- Check out awards.
- Read about housing, fees and meals.
- Learn about available scholarships.
- Contact HSJI Administrative Services Coordinator Linda J. Johnson at 812-855-0895 or e-mail her.