The Introduction to Photography workshop is designed for non-staff members who are interested in learning the basics of how to manipulate the settings of a digital camera in order to take better photographs. This workshop will focus on learning and incorporating composition basics, finding and using the best light and making better photographs. Attendees will learn how to be in control of the camera and in charge of photographic outcome. Attendees will also edit images through Photoshop.
The Photojournalism workshop is designed for, staff members who need to learn good photographic technique, journalistic principles, editing fundamentals and visual storytelling approaches to take back to their student media staffs. Staffers will learn manual camera controls and valuable management and organizational techniques. This section focuses on how staffers can improve their student media through better photographic practices.
We recommend photographers bring a digital camera with manual override. If one is not available, a point and shoot-type digital camera will be fine. For publication quality, cameras should be at least three megapixels.
2017 Sessions: July 10-14, July 16-20
- Registration for summer workshops begins in early 2017.
Typical Daily Schedule
While no two days are alike, they are designed to give you the best journalistic experience you can have while at IU.
- Day 1
- Noon to 2:30 p.m.: Check in at residence hall
- 3-5 p.m.: Instructional sessions
- 5-7 p.m.: Tour of instructional areas, dinner with floormates and counselors
- 7-9:30 p.m.: Instructional sessions and residence hall orientation
- 11:30 p.m.: Lights out
- Days 2-4
- 8:30-11:30 a.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 1:30-4 p.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 4-5:30 p.m.: Recreational programs led by counselors
- 7-9 p.m.: Enrichment sessions, one-on-one meetings with instructors
- Day 5
- 8:30-10:30 a.m.: Publication Day
- 11 a.m. to noon: Awards ceremony (friends and family welcome)
- Noon: Check out and workshop departure
- See more student workshops.
- Check out awards.
- Read about housing, fees and meals.
- Learn about available scholarships.
- Contact HSJI Administrative Services Coordinator Linda J. Johnson at 812-855-0895 or e-mail her.