Indiana University Media School’s new home at Franklin Hall blends a long tradition of educational excellence with the latest advancements in technology.
Franklin Hall, built in 1907 to house the IU library and situated at the gateway to campus, has undergone $21 million in renovations. The heart of the building features a commons, open to skylights three stories up. Production labs, studios, digital classrooms and research areas invite students and faculty to study, work and collaborate.
- Central commons with a glass ceiling and interactive 24-foot-by-12-foot screen
- The Beckley TV studio, equipped with eight HD cameras and connections to the Radio-Television Building and the Mark Cuban Center for Sports Media and Technology
- Studios for student media and classroom production
- Game design labs
- Student media space for the Indiana Daily Student, Arbutus, IUSTV, WIUX and American Student Radio
- Screening room
- Research labs and analysis space for the Institute for Communication Research
The Radio and Television building includes a digital infrastructure recently upgraded with new wiring, wireless networking, and broadband cable. Integrated digital signals can be distributed internally and externally to other locations on the Bloomington campus, to other IU campuses, and via fiber and satellite to the state and beyond. Learn more about R-TV’s high-tech features.
The Institute for Communication Research, established 1971, provides tools and support for researchers, including tools to monitor:
- Heart Rate Activity (EKG) to index attention paid to media
- Skin Conductance Activity (EDA) to index excitement/arousal in response to media
- Facial Muscle Activity (EMG) to index emotional response to media Startle Reflex to measure human defensive system activation in response to media
- Brain Wave Activity in 4-channels of EEG data can be collected from any scalp location
The school also partners with IU Cinema for special programming, such as a showcase of student video work each semester, and collaborates with other entities on campus.
Equipment check out:
Students may check out cameras and other equipment from Franklin Hall and the Radio-Television Building for use on class projects via the Media School checkout system.
Franklin Hall is open during these times:
- 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday
- 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday
- Noon to 8 p.m. Saturday
- Noon to 11 p.m. Sunday
Franklin Hall classrooms are open during these times:
- 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday
- 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday
- Closed weekends
Franklin Hall media lab is open during these times:
- 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday
- 9 a.m to 5 p.m. Friday
- Closed on Saturday
- Noon to 6 p.m. Sunday
The production lab at Radio-Television Building is open during these times:
- 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Noon to 6 p.m. Saturday
- Noon to 11 p.m. Sunday