MSCH-X474 Journalism Internship
If eligible for MSCH X474, you have the opportunity to earn between one to three academic credits for your internship experience. To qualify for X474 enrollment, your internship must meet the following criteria:
- You must be getting a B.A.J. from The Media School.
- This internship must be related to the field of journalism. For credit for a non-journalism internship, register for X472.
- No work hours will be counted until your internship is approved in the application process. Only work hours completed after your internship is approved in the application process can be counted for the course. We cannot approve hours retroactively.
- Internships must occur during the same semester in which you are seeking credit.
- The experience must reflect the broad goals of your major or area of concentration.
- It must enhance your career development or offer the opportunity to apply knowledge you’ve gained in the classroom to real-world scenarios. The internship must not exist to simply advance the operations of the employer or replace the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
- The skills and knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
- The experience must have a defined beginning and end, and a job description outlining projects, duties, and/or responsibilities; please ensure that your employer pays close attention to this requirement when entering your job description.
- There must be clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to your academic coursework or professional goals.
- There must be supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- There must be routine feedback from the experienced supervisor.
- There must be resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
If you meet the above criteria, use the information below to decide if you would like to apply for one, two or three credits. The more credits you choose, the more hours and coursework you will be required to complete in order to receive a Satisfactory (“S”) grade in the course.
- 1 credit: You will need to log at least 120 hours of work at your internship site during the semester in which you are receiving credit. You will also be required to complete a 5-page critical analysis paper at the end of your assignment.
- 2 credits: You will need to log at least 240 hours of work at your internship site during the semester in which you are receiving credit. You will also be required to complete a 7- to 8-page critical analysis paper at the end of your assignment.
- 3 credits: You will need to log at least 360 hours of work at your internship site during the semester in which you are receiving credit. You will also be required to complete a 10-page critical analysis paper.
In all instances, your supervisor will be asked to submit a performance evaluation.
Note: The maximum number of credits hours you can earn for an internship is three credits, regardless of the number of hours you work. You cannot exceed six lifetime credit hours of MSCH X474 enrollment. You cannot earn credit for an internship you’ve already completed.