Gain real-world experience
Helping students achieve their goals goes far beyond simply helping them succeed in class. With the Indiana University College of Arts and Sciences Career Services as a resource, students will have access to databases of potential employers, guidance on applying for internships and jobs, and assistance in crafting resumes and developing portfolios.
Programs within The Media School offer smaller networking events with alumni, prospective employers and organizations offering internships. In spring, the school sponsors a career event with alumni to offer students a preview of numerous career options in the media industries. Professionals from around the country are invited to the conference to interact with students at different activities during the day, including panels and one-on-one informational interviews.
Several hundred students each summer work as interns in positions that allow them to build portfolios and make contacts in the industry. Often, these internships lead to permanent jobs after graduation. Graduates currently are working as broadcast anchors and producers, filmmakers, reporters, editors, Web publishers, game designers, public relations directors and marketing executives, among others.
Start your internship or job search:
First, register at Arts and Sciences Career Services and check each week for new job and internship listings.
Then, talk to an adviser:
- Log onto the College of Arts and Sciences Career Services page and create or log onto your Career account. Tab is in the upper-right-hand corner.
- Click on “Request a Career Advising Appointment.”
- Complete the scheduling form based on the career advising topic and your availability (date range, time range, length of appointment, day of the week).
- Select all the advisers listed and click “Check Availability.” If no advisers are listed, call 812-855-6185 to have advisers assigned to you.
- Click an appointment that works for you on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Add any notes and click “Submit Request.”
- You will receive an email when your appointment has been approved. Use this same form to cancel or reschedule your appointment if you can’t make it.
Get credit for your internship:
- Apply for internship courses.
- See the MSCH I382 Media Internship details (BA or BS students only).
- See the MSCH I491 Full-Time Internship details (BAJ students only).
- See the MSCH I492 Media Internship details (BAJ students only).